Saturday, November 3, 2012

Newborn prefolds and covers

The "trimmed" newborn prefolds I made worked out really well for Q's first few weeks. They didn't fit for long -- definitely not worth it to pay a lot for them if you're expecting a >8 lb baby -- but when they did fit, they just fit so perfectly! This is at about 6 weeks old/11 lbs, which is about when she outgrew them Snappi'd. (I do still use them as inserts in some of her pocket diapers!)

IMG_9397

Remember the teeny tiny Witteybums cover I sewed a while back? I was shocked that it actually did fit Q! It worked perfectly with a trifolded newborn prefold inside. So easy to just tuck the prefold under the flaps and fasten it on. This was at 4 days old/right around 9 lbs:

WP_001285

Unfortunately, I found that this combo didn't do a great job of containing breastfed baby poo, so I stopped using it after a couple of blowouts. I did use the cover as a swim diaper -- it can be tough to find swim diapers for really little ones, so this was a great option.

I found the snaps on the Witteybums to be tough to fasten on a bigger baby, so I sewed up an In A Snap cover in size newborn as well, with a velcro closure. The outer is a polyester knit and the inner is PUL. I believe this is over a Snappi'd newborn prefold. You can see the serging of the prefold peeking out through the umbilical scoop -- the scoop isn't really deep enough to make a big difference in keeping the cover off the cord stump, but it's just deep enough to make it tough to fit a prefold under it :( Aside from that, I liked this cover a lot, although again, it was so small that it was quickly outgrown and used as a swim diaper instead. She's about 2 weeks old/10 lbs here:

WP_001311

This is the newborn In A Snap cover that I sewed for another friend. Her baby ended up being almost 10.5 lbs at birth, so I figured there was no way this cover would fit. I had already sewed her an identical one in size small... but miraculously, she was able to get some use out of the newborn size cover, too. She was a few weeks old in this picture, not sure on weight, but obviously over 10 lbs :)

527092_10151041217693169_1351154621_n

This is an In A Snap cover in size small, at about 3.5 months/14 lbs. I like the fit of this cover a lot. It is trim, but with enough coverage that I can easily get a standard infant (green edge) prefold stuffed underneath it. This one also has a polyester knit outer/PUL inner:

WP_001754

No comments:

Post a Comment