Monday, July 18, 2011

Kitchen laundry bag

About two years ago, we switched over to using mostly washcloths to clean up spills, hands/faces, etc. around the kitchen. It really cut down on our paper towel usage, and washcloths are so much sturdier for cleaning up the big messes that kids tend to make!

I had been putting the dirty washcloths, along with bibs, dish towels, and other kitchen "laundry," in our regular laundry hamper. But this hasn't been working well. For starters, a lot of kitchen laundry is covered in food, so it attracts ants in our laundry hamper -- gross! Also, a lot of it is wet, so it starts to get stinky after a few days -- again, gross! And when it comes time to wash it, because it's stinky, I prefer to use Tide on it -- I feel like it cleans better than Country Save, which is what I usually use on our clothes. Unfortunately, Noob breaks out in a rash if he wears clothes washed in Tide, so I usually end up washing everything in Country Save, rather than having to pick wet, stinky, food-covered washcloths out of the hamper to launder separately.

I finally got tired of this and decided to make a wetbag just for our kitchen laundry:

4e (2)

Sorry, that's not the greatest picture, but nothing super exciting here. I made this in the same way I make wetbags for use with cloth diapers, following this tutorial. I used a food-themed woven cotton print (from the remnants bin at Joann's) for the outer and white PUL for the inner. The zipper is from my eBay zipper stash. I made the handle snapping so that it could hang from a doorknob or snap around the handle of the oven, refrigerator, etc.

Simple, easy, and very effective! I've been using it all day today and I love it already. It should do a much better job of keeping the stink contained and the ants away!

No comments:

Post a Comment