Wednesday, February 8, 2012

More stupid cloth training pants :)

(See previous post for more information about these, including why I think they're stupid and why I'm sewing them anyway :)

IMG_3883

On the left:
Outer: PUL (wazoodle.com)
Tabs: camouflage polyester knit (fabric.com)
Inner: microchamois (purchased from a coop)

On the right:
Outer: PUL (purchased directly from another sewing mom)
Tabs: cotton rib knit (Joann's remnant bin)
Inner: microfleece (wazoodle.com)

Some action shots of the one on the right, which is one of my very favorites (love that shark print PUL!) and whoa, some serious bedhead:

IMG_3885IMG_3887

A few more...

IMG_4130

Left:
Outer: PUL (purchased directly from another sewing mom) -- this is a "happy tools" print that I've seen in a number of places, and I will note that it has faded slightly
Tabs: microchamois (purchased from a coop)
Inner: microfleece (wazoodle.com)

Middle:
Outer: PUL (purchased directly from another sewing mom)
Tabs: Cotton rib knit (Joann's remnant bin)
Inner: microfleece (wazoodle.com)

Right:
Outer: PUL (purchased from the Swaddlebees outlet -- not available anymore)
Tabs: Cotton rib knit (Joann's remnant bin)
Inner: microfleece (wazoodle.com)

For the inserts, I did three layers of heavy bamboo fleece (purchased from a coop) again, but this time, I busted out some "fancy" multicolored serger thread. This is Gutermann brand bulky nylon, readily available at Joann's, and it looks awesome! I love it. It makes the inserts really easy to pick out in the dryer, too -- handy when I'm in a rush to get the diapers stuffed and ready for school in the morning. You only really need the fancy thread in the upper and lower looper; I used plain white thread for the left and right needle.

IMG_3882

Noob has been at school for two weeks now and these are working out well. The fit seems to be decent, as I've been home for five of the days he's been in school (I was out of town on business all last week) and he's only leaked one of those days. And that was actually because the insert was soaked, not due to fit. But I don't think that will be too much of an issue, as a single insert does seem to be plenty of absorbency for him as long as his teachers stay on top of diaper changes. Most of the time, he soaks less than half of the insert. (I can tell when I go to unstuff the trainers at night.)

I'm now up to 10 trainers, which is baaaaaaaaaarely enough for two full days -- he's there between 8-9 hours/day, and I typically send him over in one pair of training pants and then he gets 3-4 diaper changes during the day. I have two trainers more cut out and ready to sew, which should give me a little more breathing room in case he has an extra-poopy day or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment