Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mittens: Something for ME! :)

IMG_1998

We've been in a cold snap here over the last few days. Hopefully our last one before warm weather comes to stay for good. But, of course, I had to have two lacrosse games to coach during this period. I still have the lovely thick stadium jacket that I wore on the sidelines of lacrosse games back in college in New England (now that was cold!) and a hat, but only one mitten. After dealing with cold hands on Sunday through a thrilling overtime win that took over 2 hours, I decided that it was time to sit down and sew a little something for me! :)

I got lacrosse fleece from Hancock Fabric back when I first started sewing. I keep meaning to sew up fleece pants for the kids with it, but I've just never gotten around to it. So I had plenty left to make some mittens for myself.

The pattern is Simplicity 2743, size medium. I originally bought it to sew a fleece vest for Littles, which I still plan to do for next winter (the pattern starts at child size 4), so the mittens pattern was just a bonus!

I followed the pattern pretty closely, except I used zig zag stitching for the elastic at the wrists, for a decorative effect. Also, the pattern called for a contrast piece on the front. Instead, I just put the contrast piece pattern and the main front piece pattern together and cut it as one big piece.

They were very easy to sew (maybe two hours from cutting to both finished) and turned out well! And they helped keep my hands warm at my game yesterday! (Another win! Go team!)

IMG_1993

No comments:

Post a Comment