Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Footie pajamas

Lately, I've been working on some cool but top-secret stuff that I'll show off soon! But in between those projects, I finished up a pair of footie pajamas that I had started for Noob way back in December. The pattern is McCall's 5963:

IMG_1259

These didn't turn out as well as I had hoped :( Part of it is that I don't really like footie PJs anymore. Back in December, they worked great, but now that Noob is walking, he tends to trip over the fabric on his feet, and he doesn't have enough grip on our non-carpeted floors. A pair of pants (like his wool longies) with either bare feet or grippy soft soled shoes (like his various pairs of Mini Mocs) work much better.

But even putting that aside, the PJs themselves just didn't turn out well. They just fit really oddly. See how wide the neckhole is, and how baggy the body is?

IMG_1245

IMG_1229

I think they actually look worse in person than they do in these pictures...

Oh well! The fleece was cheap, and I got good practice with sewing zippers (this was my first project that involved sewing a zipper into a garment like this) and with using bias tape on the neckline.

Also, I really like the way that this pattern does the sleeves. They are cut at an angle towards the neck, rather than straight around the shoulder, like in the sleepsack with sleeves that I made. It makes them much easier to sew! This same envelope includes a pattern for a sleepsack with sleeves, so if I ever have the need to make one of those again, I'll probably try this pattern, rather than the sleeved version of McCall's 4236. Bagginess isn't such a big deal with sleepsacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment