Monday, December 27, 2010

Cowboys pajama pants

DSC09201

Hubby is a Dallas Cowboys fan. I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan. As you might imagine, this makes for some interesting fall Sundays in our household. But we've each learned over the years to be at least semi-supportive of the other's team. (Except for when they play each other.)

To that end, I'm always on the lookout for good deals on Cowboys fabric. At the end of last season, I picked up some Cowboys fleece in the remnants bin at Joann's. I held onto it until this season, then made fleece pajama pants for the kids. Hubby saw me making them and asked for a pair of his own, but I pointed out that the fabric is super expensive when it's not in the remnants bin! Soon afterwards, though, I was able to snag a bunch of it for 50% off, so I decided to sew it up for Hubby as a Christmas present.

I used McCall's 5770 for the pattern. I made a slight modification by cutting each leg as one big piece, so that I only had seams on the inseams, rather than cutting each leg as two pieces and having a side seam as well. I knew from experience that matching up the squares in the fabric is a little tough, so I didn't want to have to do that on the sides of the pants.

Aside from that, the pattern was really easy to sew, especially since I already had experience sewing pants for the kids. The hardest part was finding time when Hubby (who is currently at home on paternity leave with Noob) was out of the house, so that I could keep it a surprise!

I also made my first attempt at a tag for any of the clothes I've sewed. Again, from experience with the kids' pants, I know it's hard to figure out the front from the back, so I figured this would help Hubby out, as well as serve as a reminder of just why I sewed these for him :) It's just a little piece of t-shirt fabric that I sewed in to the fabric that would become the elastic casing, before I sewed the casing itself. I used Sharpies for the writing.

DSC09199

Hubby has worn the pants every day since Christmas, so I guess he likes them! Here he is with Littles in her matching pants (underneath her Silvermist costume, of course):

IMG_0164

No comments:

Post a Comment