Saturday, May 14, 2011

Army strong

I saw this diaper at the Goodmama stocking last week. Hubby is former Army National Guard, so I knew he'd love it:

Goodmama Army Strong

If you're not familiar with Goodmamas, they are the height of insanity in the cloth diapering world. For starters, they start at $35 new, with some selling for over $60. Yes, for something designed to catch your kid's poop. Then, some of the outer fabrics are made in very small quantities, so those diapers become collector's items, for lack of a better term, and can sell for ridiculously high prices. I think the highest I've ever seen was $215. Again, for something designed to catch your kid's poop.

The funny thing about all of this is that the fabrics used are nothing special. I found this particular one (well, the tan version) on fabric.com for less than $10/yard. A few hours of work and I had this:

IMG_3688

Back:

IMG_3689

Entire outer. This is the Very Baby Basic AIO pattern again:

IMG_3695

The inner has a hidden layer of bamboo fleece and then a layer of yummy soft bamboo velour, both from Nature's Fabrics. The snap-in soaker is a layer of bamboo fleece and a layer of bamboo velour, trifolded.

IMG_3694

I made a matching shirt as well! I took one of the onesies I bought during the Babies R Us clearance that I mentioned a while back. It is Gerber 24-month size, but since Gerber runs small, it's closer to 18-month size or even a large 12-month size. I don't really like onesies with cloth diapers, so I cut it off just above the leg holes and hemmed it to turn it into a regular t-shirt. Then I cut out some small pieces from the Army fabric, folded under the edges (the fabric is woven, so unfinished edges do fray), and sewed them down.

Front:

IMG_3690

IMG_3690

Back:

IMG_3692

IMG_3692

Action shots:

IMG_3697IMG_3701IMG_3727

I love how this turned out! And it was much faster than waiting up to 2 months for the Goodmama version to ship! (Not to mention the fact that I have enough fabric left for probably three more of these sets... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment