Friday, May 13, 2011

More snap conversions

I had a business trip on Monday and Tuesday of this week, so I took along some "travel projects. One of the projects was a bunch of BumGenius 3.0 diapers (purchased for $2 apiece during a recent Cotton Babies "last chance" sale) in need of snap conversion. I discovered that you can take all the tools required for snap conversions and elastic replacements, including needles, a small pair of scissors, and even a small awl, in your carry-on bag! Cool!

One of the things I don't like about snapping diapers is how it takes me a moment to find the right set of snaps to use. And every moment counts when you have a wiggly toddler on the changing table! To help speed up that process, I decided to do alternating snap colors. The result:

IMG_3562

So, Noob is on the second smallest snap setting, which means I know I need to use the contrasting snaps (dark green on the light green diaper, and white on the light blue diaper) closest to the middle of the diaper. When he moves to the next snap setting, I'll know I need to use the non-contrasting snaps in between the two contrasting set of snaps. Hopefully that makes sense.

I felt like the contrasting effect was a little too obvious, so on the last one I did, I took a more subtle approach. Can you see the contrast?

IMG_3661

(You can see the guidelines I used for snap placement in this picture. I did them before leaving on the trip, using a yard stick, a rotary cutting mat, and a Mark-B-Gone marker to get as accurate as possible. The Mark-B-Gone marker washes right out!)

The contrast is hard to see if you aren't looking for it, but fairly easy to spot if you are. What I did was for the snaps where I wanted contrast, I used an orange socket but a light yellow cap. So, the little dot in the middle of the snap is light yellow, but the socket itself is orange. Here is a close-up. Can you see it now?

IMG_3662

I think they turned out pretty well! I have tons more "last chance" BG's, so I've got something to keep me occupied on many future trips :)

No comments:

Post a Comment