Sunday, May 8, 2011

Very Baby fitted

I've already shown off a couple of diapers I've sewn using the Darling Diapers Unlimited (DDU) pattern. I love the way DDU's fit Noob, I love how the pattern includes a ton of different sewing options (aplix vs. snaps, front-closing vs. side-closing, rounded wings vs. square wings, pocket vs. fitted vs. cover, etc.), and I love the detailed instructions included. But one minor problem is that if you choose to sell the diapers you sew from it, you can only charge the cost of your materials. (Unless you opt to pay $700 to become a licensee, which obviously is not going to happen for me.) Now, I'm not looking to open a diaper-sewing business or anything like that, but it would be nice to have the option to, say, sew up a second diaper using leftover fabric from something I made for Noob, and then sell it.

So I started looking for diaper patterns with less-restrictive licensing requirements, and I came across the Very Baby patterns. They have no licensing fees, no required review of a sewn diaper, etc. I've also had professionally-made Very Baby diapers in the past, so I knew that they fit well. I figured I'd give the patterns a shot!

I selected the Very Baby Basic AIO pattern, because it is sized (I love the trimness of sized diapers), it's intended primarily for aplix closures (my favorite), and there are instructions available for making it as a fitted and as a pocket. Here's my first shot at it:

IMG_3547

I used flannel for this diaper, because I have a lot of it sitting around, and it's not stretchy so it gives me a good idea of the sizing when using other non-stretchy fabrics (such as PUL). The outer and soaker are from a 100% cotton Carter's receiving blanket. The inner is yellow flannel from Hancock Fabrics, originally purchased to make Noob's Book of Family, but I have a ton left over.

IMG_3545

I did a trifold soaker. I think this is now my favorite soaker type :) It's just two pieces of flannel sewn together, turned, and topstitched. Very very easy to make. Since it's a total of six layers when folded, it should be pretty absorbent, but since it's only two layers unfolded, it should wash up well and dry quickly. Love it. Here's a shot showing the soaker unfolded. You can see how it snaps into the diaper at the top:

IMG_3546

On the bum:

IMG_3552 IMG_3558

I don't like the fit of this one quite as much as my DDU's. For starters, even though Noob is near the top of the weight limit for the medium size, he still needs the crossover tabs around the waist. I think this would be better for a chubbier baby. But it does fit well enough, and it was very easy to sew. I think I'll do a few more of these, and experiment with alternative construction methods, and see how they turn out!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now and really enjoy it! I'm getting ready to start learning to make my own CDs and you're a big inspiration! Your stuff looks so good!
    Anyway, quick question: have you tried any free patterns out there, like Cloth Revolution? And if so, do you recommend buying one, like the Darling Diapers? Is the Darling pattern much better?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi eli!

    I HAVE tried some of the free patterns. I started off sewing Rita's Rump Pockets, and then I did a few Cloth Revolution diapers before turning to paid patterns (Darling Diapers, La Di Da, and Very Baby).

    Someday, maybe I'll get around to doing the "Cloth Diaper Sewing 101" post that's knocking around in my head, including reviews of different patterns... but for now, the short version of my Cloth Revolution review is that I didn't love the fit on my son. It's a little "poofy" in the front. That is why I started looking into the other patterns.

    That said, I think it's absolutely worth trying out! For starters, fit is so dependent on the baby, so what works for my baby might not work for yours and vice versa! Also, Cloth Revolution has excellent excellent directions and TONS of options provided. For that reason, it is GREAT for CD sewing beginners.

    Plus, it's free! So, you can give it a whirl. If you like it, great. If not, it's not like you wasted any money on it :) Just use some cheap materials to start with. My first CR diaper was made out of an old set of jersey cotton sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa! Good advice. I'll just start playing around and figure out what works with my little person.

    ReplyDelete