Monday, May 2, 2011

Woven fitted diaper

IMG_2847

Pattern: Darling Diapers Unlimited, size medium

Materials: Inner is one layer of hemp/cotton fleece, from Nature's Fabrics. Outer fabric is woven cotton. I originally bought this about a year ago, from the remnants bin at Joann's, to make wetbags. I had a large enough piece left over after making the wetbags, so I figured I'd try it on a diaper!

Diaper sewing is definitely getting easier for me. The elastic has always been the most challenging part, followed closely by the snaps or aplix. This time, I do have a few slightly crooked snaps, but the elastic is perfect! Yay!

Where I still need more practice is on sewing the soakers. For this one, I made a double long soaker, with two layers of hemp/cotton fleece. (So, four layers when it's folded over.) It ended up being a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit long. Oops :)

IMG_2841

But it does work fine folded over:

IMG_2842

It's a snap-in soaker, so it's easy enough to switch out. I might try again, and make it a little shorter this time :)

Action shots:

IMG_2862IMG_2855IMG_2848

I was wondering if a woven cotton outer would work for a diaper, and it does! Which is great, because woven cotton is relatively inexpensive and holds up very well to washing. Good to know!

I don't love the snaps, though. It's a little hard to get the right fit with them. The placement is particularly weird on this diaper pattern -- you can see in the first picture that there are three snaps on each wing, rather than the typical one or two. I don't know, I just don't like the way that they work, so I doubt I'll make very many more snapping diapers from this pattern. The aplix ones are great, though.

Noob has already worn this diaper overnight a couple of times. Admittedly, he's not a super heavy wetter, but the diaper worked great -- it wasn't even fully saturated in the morning. Hubby likes the ease of use of a pocket diaper for overnights, but I really love fitteds under wool covers, so I might sew up a few more of these. They are easy enough to sew (I loooooooove not having to deal with PUL!) and so soft and cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment